- 3 medium white potatoes
- ½ stick salted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ cup freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 2 green onions, diced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Thinly and evenly slice the potatoes (use a mandolin if you have one).
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour until the mixture becomes creamy, and then let it cook for another minute. Pour in the milk all at once, add the garlic salt and pepper, and then continue whisking until the sauce becomes thick and bubbly. Remove the pan from heat, then stir in the Parmesan until it's melted through.
- Spoon just enough sauce to coat the bottom of a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Place one thin layer of potatoes on top, then sprinkle them with sea salt, green onions and parsley. Pour more sauce on top (about ½ cup) and then repeat the layers until you're left with sauce as the last layer. Sprinkle a little more parsley and pepper on top.
- Cover the casserole tightly, and bake it for 30 minutes. Uncover it, then continue baking for another 15 minutes, or until the scalloped potatoes are golden on top and bubbling.
- Let the potatoes rest for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.
Subscribe to my eNewsletter for recipes, kitchen tips, foodie news AND, exclusive only to subscribers, a printable monthly meal plan delivered straight to your inbox!
My posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same; however, I will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!