I believe I could eat potatoes every day of the year.
I’m not sure my family would agree.
I mean, my son practically wretches at the sight of a potato, unless its form is that of a french fry.
It’s true. I’m not kidding.
How does that even happen?
Don’t all kids eat their weight in mashed potatoes? Not this one.
And … my husband and daughter like a little variety in their dinner regime. Imagine.
So, there you have it.
I manage one potato dish a week. Sometimes if I’m extra crafty, I can sneak in two.
That’s where scalloped potatoes come in to play.
Creamy, cheesy, baked dish of yum!
- 3 medium white potatoes
- 1/2 stick salted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 2 green onions, diced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Thinly and evenly slice the potatoes (use a mandoline if you have one).
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Once foamy, whisk in the flour until the mixture becomes creamy, and then let it cook for another minute.
- Pour in the milk all at once, add the garlic salt and pepper, and then continue whisking until the sauce becomes thick and bubbly.
- Remove the pan from heat, then stir in the parmesan until it's melted through.
- Spoon just enough sauce to coat the bottom of a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Place one thin layer of potatoes on top, then sprinkle them with sea salt, green onions and parsley.
- Pour more sauce on top (about 1/2 cup) and then repeat the layers until you're left with sauce as the last layer. Sprinkle a little more parsley and pepper on top.
- Cover the casserole tightly, and bake it for 30 minutes. Uncover it, then continue baking for another 15 minutes, or until the scalloped potatoes are golden on top and bubbling.
- Let the potatoes rest for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.
CorningWare French White Round and Oval Bakeware Set (12-Piece)
Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware, Pour and Strain Sauce Pan, 3 1/2-quart, Black
OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
Gourmia GMS9105 Adjustable Stainless Steel Mandoline Slicer Dial-Style Kitchen Slicer With Built in Adjustable Blades Fine to Thick Slice & Julienne Settings
OXO Good Grips Nylon Ladle
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.