Last updated on May 21, 2023 by Liza Hawkins
You will love this honey lemon zucchini bread recipe — it’s so fresh and bright! Enjoy a slice for breakfast with coffee or tea, or as a snack mid-day with cream cheese or butter.
Back when we lived in Maryland, I was often faced with a summertime snafu: an overabundance of giant zucchini from my parents’ homestead or from my co-workers whose gardens produced produce like it was their job.
I suppose it was the gardens’ job, but that’s neither here nor there.
In the case of my green-thumbed co-workers, when fraught with what to do with their giant zucchini they often thought, “Liza will take it.”
Because, obviously. I’m like Mikey with the Life cereal when it comes to garden bounty.
One time I spent fifteen minutes shredding two of those suckers, and ended up with a little over six cups of zucchini bits. SIX CUPS.
Two cups got frozen in zip top bags and the rest was used for zucchini bread.
We love zucchini bread over here.
It’s always been one of my daughter’s favorites for lunch or a snack, two slices slathered with cream cheese and eaten like a sandwich.
My son has always liked his plain or warmed up with a little butter. (YUM!)
I could eat zucchini bread any way it’s served, any time (although I do have a soft spot for a warm buttered slice).
Today I tried a new variation on my regular ol’ zucchini bread recipe: the addition of honey and lemon.
It has a sweet brightness that’s both unique and mouthwatering.
Of the four loaves, I gave one to my folks, saved one in the fridge for this week, and froze two in zip top bags to use over the coming weeks.
You will love this honey lemon zucchini bread recipe — it's so fresh and bright!
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/4 cup honey (preferably local)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Use non-stick spray to coat 4 large loaf pans.
- Use a whisk to combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and oil until they turn a creamy color, then add the sugar, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla and continue whisking the ingredients for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Fix the paddle attachment to the mixer. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture about a cup at a time, mixing thoroughly before adding the next cupful. Once all the dry ingredients have been added, mix until it's just combined. The batter will be very thick!
- Add the zucchini to the batter, and using the mixer on low, gently incorporate the two. The moisture from the zucchini should loosen up the batter and make it easier to mix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pans about half-way, and then bake them for about an hour (or until the top springs back when you press gently with your finger, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
- Let the loaves cool for about 15 minutes in the pan, and the remove them. Continue letting them sit on a rack until they've cooled completely.
TIP: If you plan on freezing these, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap once they've cooled, and then put them into freezer zip top bags.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
- All-Clad Stainless-Steel 8 pc. Standard-Size Measuring Cup & Spoon Combo Set
- M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatulas Set - Rubber Spatula Kitchen Utensils Non-Stick for Cooking, Baking and Mixing - Ergonomic, Dishwasher Safe Bakeware Set of 4, Orange
- K BASIX Cheese Grater & Shredder - Stainless Steel - Razor Sharp Blades - Medium Shred - Ideal Hand Grater for Hard Fruit, Root Vegetables, Nuts, Parmesan Cheese & More! (4 Sided Box Grater)
- KitchenAid KSM75SL Classic Plus 4.5-Qt. Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, Silver
- Wilton Perfect Results Large Nonstick Loaf Pan, 9.25 by 5.25-Inch, Silver
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 724Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 683mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 3gSugar: 33gProtein: 10g