Last updated on January 22, 2022 by Liza Hawkins
This perfect french toast is crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside — with hints of lemon, cinnamon, and vanilla throughout. In all the years I’ve been cooking breakfast, I’ve never been able to perfect the art of making french toast.
It seems simple, whisking the eggs, milk, vanilla together, then letting bread soak for a bit before frying in pan.
But my french toast recipes have always left me with slices that were too “eggy,” almost framed with a fried egg boarder. And sometimes the insides were soggy, even if the outsides were crispy.
I’ve found that with french toast, a few minor details can mean the difference between failure and perfection.
Martha Stewart’s Perfect French Toast recipe is what opened my eyes to how french toast should be prepared. It’s not difficult, nor is it terribly time consuming.
What it IS, however, is crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside — with hints of lemon, cinnamon, and vanilla throughout.
Try my apple cinnamon french toast breakfast casserole for another yummy take on this breakfast classic!
This perfect french toast is crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside — with hints of lemon, cinnamon, and vanilla throughout.
- 4 slices of crusty Italian bread, sliced 1-inch thick
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and salt together.
- Set the bread in a single layer in a shallow baking dish.
- Pour the liquid over the bread, making sure to coat the top of each piece. Let the bread soak for 5 minutes, then flip the bread.
- Heat the butter and canola oil over medium in a large skillet.
- Once the butter becomes foamy (about 5 minutes), add the soaked bread in one layer and let it cook for 4 minutes, then flip.
- Cook for another 4 minutes, then add additional minutes on each side to make sure it’s evenly golden brown.
Serve hot with butter and syrup, or a dusting of powdered sugar.
Adapted from Martha Stewart's recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- Calphalon 1948249 Signature Hard Anodized Nonstick Covered Omelet Fry Pan, 12", Black
- Pyrex Deep Baking Dish Set (6-Piece, BPA-Free Lids)
- GEEKHOM Silicone Spatula, 600 Degree Heat Resistant BPA Free Non Toxic Rubber Spatulas Set for Non Stick Cookware, Large Flexible Heavy Duty Turner for Cooking Flipping Fish Pancake Eggs - 4 Pack, XL
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 361mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g