Homemade blueberry pancakes are super easy to make on weekends and perfect to reheat during the week for easy breakfasts. Pancakes are one of those recipes that once you make them from scratch, it seems ridiculous to have ever used a box mix, or even store-bought in the frozen foods aisle!
My basic recipe for homemade pancakes includes ingredients that even the most basically stocked fridge and pantry usually have: flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, oil, eggs and milk.
In my book, simple is delicious. But, there are still times when you want to liven things up a bit, give a little pizzazz or just use up some fruit or berries that are leaning into over-ripe status.
It can be fun to come with flavor combos and other ingredients you can incorporate, like using blueberries and vanilla in this homemade blueberry pancakes recipe. My basic pancake recipe is super forgiving and very versatile!
Some of our other fun add-ins and combos include:
- Mashed Banana
- Slivered almonds
- Chocolate chips
- Sautéed apples
The recipe makes enough for a family of four, give or take. I’ve been known to double the recipe and save the leftovers for breakfast during the week.
Storing Leftover Blueberry Pancakes
Once cooled, you can store the pancakes in a gallon zip top bag in your refrigerator and then reheat in the microwave as needed. But … you can also store them in the freezer!
Let the homemade blueberry pancakes (or any variety) cool completely, and then lay them flat on a baking sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, put them all in a zip top freezer bag and then pull the pancakes out as needed. By freezing them first on the baking sheet, you’ll keep them from sticking together in the bag later.
Frozen pancakes reheat quickly in the microwave, just like the ones you buy in the freezer section at the grocery store!
Check out some of my other pancake recipes here:
- Peach Cobbler Pancakes
- Cinnamon Sugar Pancakes
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Fluffy Homemade Pancakes (with yogurt)
- Very Berry Vanilla Pancakes
- Easy Banana Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/2 pint fresh blueberries
- Place 1/4 stick of butter into a large skillet over medium to medium/high heat. The pan is ready when the butter is melted and starts to foam a little.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In a 2-cup (or larger) glass measuring cup, combine the milk, egg, oil and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisking to just combine.
- Pour the batter, about 1/4 cup at a time, into your preheated skillet. Sprinkle each pancake with blueberries to taste. Cook 4 minutes, or until you see bubbles appear all over the top. Flip the pancakes and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Repeat the process until batter has been used up.
Serve hot with butter and real maple syrup.
I start with the pan on medium/high to preheat, but once the first set of pancakes has finished, I reduce the heat to medium because I've found the remaining batches need less time — about 3 minutes the first side and only a minute on the second side.
If you don't have fresh blueberries, use 1/2 cup thawed frozen blueberries as an alternative. I've also folded the blueberries into the batter instead of dropping them onto the pancakes. This works fine as long as you toss the blueberries in some flour first, otherwise they'll sink to the bottom of your batter!
During the week we take leftovers, wrap them in a damp paper towel, and microwave for about 30 seconds.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- GEEKHOM Silicone Spatula, 600 Degree Heat Resistant BPA Free Non Toxic Rubber Spatulas Set for Non Stick Cookware, Large Flexible Heavy Duty Turner for Cooking Flipping Fish Pancake Eggs - 4 Pack, XL
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
- Calphalon 1932337 Classic Nonstick Everyday Chef Pan with Cover, 12", Grey