Last Updated on September 7, 2023 by Liza Hawkins
The very best sweet potato casserole EVER. And not a marshmallow in sight!
My paternal grandmother passed away many years ago and, even today, Thanksgiving isn’t complete without her tried and true — and terribly addicting! — sweet potato casserole.
This isn’t your typical sweet potato casserole that’s served on Thanksgiving. There isn’t a marshmallow in sight. Not a one.
Instead, it’s a fluffy, creamy, crunchy, gooey, can’t-believe-it’s-a-side-not-a-dessert accompaniment to an already spectacular spread.
And it’s better without the marshmallows. It. Just. Is.
My aunt traditionally made this sweet potato casserole during our large family gatherings every Thanksgiving since my grandmother’s passing.
We flip coins to see who gets to lick the casserole dish clean at the end of the meal. (Kidding. About the coin toss.)
Secondly, it’s nostalgic! Who doesn’t love a bit of family nostalgia during the holidays?
For years we were all able to gather together at my parents’ homestead in Maryland for Thanksgiving: the four of us, plus my parents, sister and brother-in-law, aunt, uncle, first cousins, second cousins from North Carolina and their kids (my second cousins once removed? I can never keep that straight), too!
Other years we celebrated in various parts of the East Coast, making different, fun traditions with our newly built and growing sets of families — but still enjoying this sweet potato casserole at each of our feasts.
In recent years, we’ve all migrated toward the middle of the country, my family in central Illinois, and my folks and sister and family in Colorado! When we’re able, we still plan to gather and enjoy Thanksgiving and other holiday festivities together.
And this casserole will always have a place on the menu. Thanksgiving wouldn’t be the same without it!
Note: These tips for storing and cooking sweet potatoes can help if you’re newer to using them.
The best sweet potato casserole ever — without marshmallows!
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes*
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
For the casserole:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x11” or 2.5-quart casserole dish and set it aside.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, eggs, vanilla, milk, and melted butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend them together with a hand mixer until it's light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into your prepared baking dish.
For the topping:
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the brown sugar, butter, and flour.
- Stir in the chopped pecans and then sprinkle the mixture evenly over top the sweet potatoes.
- Bake the sweet potato casserole for 20-30 minutes, or until it's hot and bubbly. Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
*For mashed sweet potatoes, peel and cube 3-5 sweet potatoes (depending on how big they are), and then boil them in lightly salted water for about 15 minutes, or until they're fork-tender. Use a hand mixer to whip them for about 30 seconds, or until they're fluffy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- CorningWare French White Round and Oval Bakeware Set (12-Piece)
- OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece
- Cuisinart HM-90BCS Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case, Brushed Chrome
- M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatulas Set - Rubber Spatula Kitchen Utensils Non-Stick for Cooking, Baking and Mixing - Ergonomic, Dishwasher Safe Bakeware Set of 4, Orange
- 1Easylife 18/8 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons, Set of 6 for Measuring Dry and Liquid Ingredients
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
- Stainless Steel X-Large Serving Spoons (2-Pack), Serving Utensil, Buffet & Banquet Style Serving Spoons-(2 Spoons)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 548Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 3gSugar: 60gProtein: 5g