Last Updated on February 14, 2021 by Liza Hawkins
Enjoy a vegan fettuccine alfredo, full of savory sautéed mushrooms, that’s just as creamy and comforting as a classic recipe. Pasta is one of my go-to crowd-pleasing meals because it’s just as easy to prepare a meal for an intimate dinner for two as it is to feed a party with ten. I also like that pasta’s versatile.
If I have guests who are trying to stay away from gluten, then the grains are swapped for gluten-free alternatives.
Those who don’t eat meat? No problem. Plenty of delicious vegetarian pasta options, and if I do have folks with a meat craving, then a simple alternative is to serve seared chicken breast or blackened shrimp on the side.
When I’m looking for a dairy-free alternative, but don’t want to serve a marinara or olive oil-based sauce, then I turn to a substitute like almondmilk or cashewmilk.
In addition to being great a dairy alternative for my everyday recipes, milk made from nuts also has fewer calories than skim milk (if you’re counting) and no added sugar, most are also free of soy, lactose, gluten, casein, egg and MSG.
And, there are typically no artificial colors, flavors or other funny business.
In addition to a new ingredient in your recipes, nut-based products can be a simple way to take the first steps toward a plant-based lifestyle — beyond milk, there’s products like yogurt alternative that makes an easy grab-n-go breakfast and comes in a variety of flavors these days!
Small steps can be a very effective and sustainable way to reach a larger plant-based-lifestyle goal.
Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo With Mushrooms
Back to the pasta. PASTA!
The key to making a good alfredo sauce is ensuring there’s enough fat to prepare a proper roux for the base.
Without that, your sauce is in danger of either not coming together thick and creamy, or it could “break” after it’s thickened.
I find that using olive oil in lieu of butter for vegan recipes is a pretty good alternative. There are vegan butters at the grocery store, as well as other butter alternatives; but, I prefer to use what I have on hand in my pantry already.
From start to finish, this vegan fettuccine alfredo recipe takes less than thirty minutes to complete.
That means it’s perfect for a quick weeknight meal when schedule’s are busy, or it will let you spend more time with your guests if you’re hosting a dinner party!
Now, how about that vegan fettuccine alfredo with mushrooms recipe?
Enjoy a vegan fettuccine alfredo, full of savory sautéed mushrooms, that's just as creamy and comforting as a classic recipe.
- 16 ounces dry fettuccine pasta
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups almondmilk or cashewmilk
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bring a large pot of water with 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook for about 10 minutes, or until it's al dente. Remove the pot from heat, drain the fettuccine and then return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, while the pasta is cooking, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large sauce pan for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms, stirring occasionally to saute until they've softened and started to brown. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt, give a stir, and then let them continue to cook for another minute. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the flour, stirring to coat the mushrooms, and then let it cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the almondmilk in all at once and whisk gently, taking care to scrape up any bits at the bottom. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper, garlic powder and soy sauce.
- Increase the heat to medium-high again and bring the sauce to a light boil, whisking every minute. Once it's thickened, remove it from heat and toss with the cooked fettuccine noodles. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips Large Wooden Spoon, Beech
- Qimh Collapsible Colander Set of 3 Round Silicone Kitchen Strainer Set - 2 pcs 4 Quart and 1 pcs 2 Quart- Perfect for Draining Pasta, Vegetable and fruit (green,blue, purple)
- Calphalon Classic Pots And Pans Set, 10-Piece Nonstick Cookware Set, Grey
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 678Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1145mgCarbohydrates: 110gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 19g