Is there anything better than slow cooker beef and potatoes on a chilly fall or winter evening?
Fall is here, which means my slow cooker will be used a lot, especially for things like stock, tomato sauce, and other kitchen and cooking hacks. I’ll never buy chicken stock again — especially when I have a recipe that calls for cooking it overnight.
You can hardly get any easier than that.
The overnight slow cooker chicken stock recipe ends up yielding twelve cups of stock, so I typically keep two cups for the fridge and freeze the other ten cups. (Yes, TEN cups.)
And it tastes wonderful!
Have an Instant Pot? Try making chicken stock in that, too.
So, back to the slow cooker.
Beef roasts are one of my favorite ways to use the slow cooker, any cut — it doesn’t matter. I watch the sales, buy beef roasts when they’re cheaper, and then freeze them most of the time.
I’ve used frozen roasts in my slow cooker (yes, un-thawed) before, but this one starts out fresh.
Also, I love that most slow cooker recipes are flexible.
The day I made this one I didn’t have a ton of produce on hand, so I used red skin potatoes, rough chopped onions and some smashed garlic. Carrots, celery and fresh herbs would have been a nice addition though!
The beans in the photos are wax beans from my neighbors’ CSA pick-up that they graciously shared, and I steamed them separately at dinnertime.
What’s your favorite meal to make in the slow cooker?
- 1 3-pound beef rump roast
- 4 red skin potatoes, quartered
- 2 yellow onions, rough chopped
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 cup water or beef stock
- Place the potatoes, onions and garlic in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Coat the outside of the roast with garlic salt, black pepper, chili powder and parsley. Set it on top of the potatoes and onions, fat side up.
- Pour the water into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 888Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 272mgSodium: 1026mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 74g