Last updated on October 15, 2023 by Liza Hawkins
I raised an eyebrow, too, when I first heard of starting a slow cooker beef roast frozen. Stay with me, though…
For many Christmases my in-laws gave us an eighth of a cow, which enabled us to stock our basement freezer chest with meat for most of the year. Score! I love practical gifts.
The ground beef and steaks are easy to use on a whim, only taking a little while to thaw. But, for the life of me, I can never remember to thaw a whole roast in the right timeframe to eat it.
Finding myself in this very predicament a few years ago, a friend of mine shared a frozen pot roast recipe that she uses.
And yes, you read that right … it started with a frozen roast!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
That right folks, there’s actually a great recipe that not only uses a frozen roast, it also requires a slow cooker (a.k.a. Crockpot™).
How much easier can it get? Not much.
(Except maybe with an Instant Pot, but I haven’t tried that conversion yet!)
Slow cookers are like culinary wizards when it comes to “set it and forget it,” tenderizing tough cuts, one-pot dishes, and for infusing flavors. The benefits of a slow cooker seem endless!
Let’s talk about ideal cuts of beef to use in the slow cooker…
Types of Beef Roasts to Buy:
Before we dive into the wonderful world of cooking a beef roast in a slow cooker, it’s essential to know which cuts of beef work best for this method. Here are some popular choices:
Chuck Roast: This cut is a slow cooker superstar. It’s marbled with just the right amount of fat to keep it tender and flavorful during the long cooking process. Chuck roast is perfect for pot roasts and stews.
Round Roast: Round roasts are leaner than chuck roast but can still yield a tender result when slow-cooked. They’re great for sandwiches or when sliced thin for an elegant dinner.
Brisket: Known for its rich, beefy flavor, brisket shines in the slow cooker. It’s the go-to choice for mouthwatering barbecue, and the slow cooker helps break down its toughness.
Tri-Tip Roast: A leaner option, tri-tip roast is excellent for those who prefer a slightly healthier option. It’s flavorful and cooks well in the slow cooker.
Now that you’ve got an idea of the beef roast options, let’s dive into my favorite recipe.
I love this recipe and other hearty slow cooker beef and potatoes meals. How to start a slow cooker beef roast frozen: dinner can’t get any easier!
How to start a slow cooker beef roast from frozen. Dinner can't get any easier!
- 1 2.5- to 4-pound frozen beef roast*
- 4 to 6 medium potatoes, cut in 2″ cubes
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 10.5oz can cream of mushroom condensed soup
- 1 10.5oz can cream of celery condensed soup
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Place the potatoes, onions, carrots and garlic in the bottom of a slow cooker, and then add the frozen roast on top (fat side up if it has one).
- In a bowl, combine the soups and the soup mix. Pour over top the roast, spreading to cover the exposed sides. Set the slow cooker on low, then cover and cook for 8-10 hours.
- About a half-hour before you’re ready to eat, add the peas, stirring just a little to cover them.
- Pull the roast out when the time's up, but be careful – it will most likely fall apart as you lift it.
The soups, plus the drippings from the roast as it cooks, create a gravy-like sauce. So, it’s up to you how you want to serve it, all together in one large serving bowl, or separated as a roast with sides and gravy. Either way, delish!
*I’ve used many different kinds of beef roast, from bottom round and chuck, to large sirloins. Some fall apart more than others at carving time, but all are flavorful and tender. I do tend to prefer the cuts that are bone-in as the bone lends a richer flavor and tends to help make the beef fork-tender.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Ladle
- OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs with Black Silicone Heads
- Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S-A 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker with Digital Timer Stainless Steel
- OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece
- J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 920Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 280mgSodium: 1087mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 76g