Simple homemade baked ziti is one of the most delicious, ooey-gooey cheesy, comforting recipes out there!
There’s this little neighborhood pizzeria about two miles from our old house that has the best baked ziti recipe I’ve ever eaten.
I don’t claim to be a baked ziti expert, but I know a good Italian recipe when I taste one.
What I love most about their baked ziti is that it’s simple.
Just the right amount of fresh basil and fresh mozzarella, a sauce and ricotta ratio near to perfection, and barely a touch of their light marinara on top.
Did I mention ooey, gooey fresh mozzarella?
Over the weekend I decided to roll up my sleeves and take a stab at making baked ziti at home in one of my favorite casserole dishes.
I mean, it’s not difficult, and the ingredients are really no secret.
And I, too, kept it simple—although I was lacking some of the fresh ingredients I would have preferred.
Still, we were all pleased.
By the way, my easy homemade Italian bread (made the same afternoon) went perfectly!
- 1 23.5oz jar organic marinara sauce
- 3-1/2 cups dry ziti or penne pasta
- 1 8-ounce fresh mozzarella ball OR 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil OR 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt + 2 tablespoons for the pasta water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil