Last Updated on February 23, 2019 by Liza Hawkins
I was looking for a different way to prepare chicken thighs the other day, and found myself clicking through Food Network’s site in search of some inspiration.
Lately I’ve been buying bone-in, skin on chicken thighs because I think they have the most flavor. But I happened to stumble across a package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs on sale at the grocery store, and I couldn’t pass them up.
So, as I perused the Food Network site, one recipe that caught my eye was this one from Bobby Flay:
Smoked Ginger Chicken with Cardamom, Cloves and Cinnamon
I had most of those ingredients on hand, or at least the “feel + taste” of those flavors. Inspiration had arrived!
Here’s the difference between our two recipes:
1. My soaked liquid included water, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, ground cardamom and crystallized ginger (I don’t typically keep fresh ginger on hand).
2. I used a grill pan rather than our charcoal grill. I love a good piece of grilled chicken, don’t get me wrong, but on this particular day it was raining so I had to be inside.
3. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of a whole butterflied chicken (although I’m sure that would be tasty!).
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 pieces of crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon black whole peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head garlic, cloves removed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper