This apple cinnamon french toast breakfast casserole is a perfect weekend or holiday breakfast — make it the morning of or prep it the night before!
If you scour Pinterest for recipes like I do, and one of the things you happen to be looking for is a breakfast casserole, you’ll fine that most of them have one thing in common:
“Place casserole in the refrigerator and let it sit overnight.”
When you’re not a meal planner (I’m not), that recipe step is a real bear.
I usually think of breakfast recipes on the weekends around seven in the morning, not the evening before.
Simple things like pancakes, eggs, waffles…
But breakfast casseroles are fun … all kinds of yummy breakfast tastes melded into a one-dish masterpiece.
And wouldn’t it be nice if you could make one the same day as you craved one?
Here’s my stab at that!
Kitchen tools I use to make apple cinnamon french toast breakfast casserole:
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 5 slices of French bread, cut 1 1/2″ thick
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced thin (use Golden Delicious or another baking apple)
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
- Coat a 2-quart glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place the slices of bread in the baking dish. It will be a tight fit, and the pieces should all touch—that’s what you want.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, and 1/4 cup sugar together for about 30 seconds. Pour half of the liquid over-top the bread, taking care to coat all the pieces.
- Toss the apple slices with the cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining sugar. Lay the apple slices on top in one layer. Pour the remaining liquid mixture over-top the apples. Dot the top with butter.
- Cover the baking dish, and refrigerate for 1 hour (it would be okay sitting overnight if that’s easier).
When you're ready to bake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and take the casserole out of the fridge while you’re waiting for the oven to get to temp.
- Bake the casserole uncovered for 1 hour, and then let it sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting it into squares.
- Serve with butter and syrup, and/or more cinnamon-sugar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1Easylife 18/8 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons, Set of 6 for Measuring Dry and Liquid Ingredients
- All-Clad 8700800515 All- Measuring Cups
- Pyrex Prepware 2-1/2-Quart Glass Mixing Bowl
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
- Pyrex Deep Baking Dish Set (6-Piece, BPA-Free Lids)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 650Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 220mgSodium: 869mgCarbohydrates: 98gFiber: 5gSugar: 41gProtein: 22g