How to start a slow cooker beef roast from frozen. Dinner can’t get any easier!
For many Christmases my in-laws gave us an eighth of a cow, which enabled us to stock our basement freezer chest with meat for most of the year. Score!
I love practical gifts.
The ground beef and steaks are easy to use on a whim, only taking a little while to thaw. But for the life of me, I can never remember to thaw a whole roast in the right time-frame to eat it.
Finding myself in this very predicament a few years ago, a friend of mine shared a recipe that she uses. And get this… It started with a frozen roast!
That right folks, there’s actually a great recipe that not only uses a frozen roast, it also requires a slow cooker. How much easier can it get? Not much.
I love a hearty slow cooker beef and potatoes meal.
- 1 2.5-4 lb frozen beef roast*
- 4 to 6 medium potatoes, cut in 2″ cubes
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 can cream of mushroom condensed soup
- 1 can cream of celery condensed soup
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Place the potatoes, onions, carrots and garlic in the bottom of a slow cooker, and then add the frozen roast on top (fat side up if it has one).
- In a bowl, combine the soups and the soup mix. Pour over top the roast, spreading to cover the exposed sides. Set the slow cooker on low, then cover and cook for 8-10 hours.
- About a half-hour before you’re ready to eat, add the peas, stirring just a little to cover them.
- Pull the roast out when the time's up, but be careful – it will most likely fall apart as you lift it (yummers!). The soups, plus the drippings from the roast as it cooks, create a gravy-like sauce. So, it’s up to you how you want to serve it, all together in one large serving bowl, or separated as a roast with sides and gravy. Either way, delish!
Subscribe to my eNewsletter for simple kitchen tips, fun foodie news AND, exclusive only to subscribers, a first look at new recipes before they go live on the blog!
My posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same; however, I will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!