Chocolate chip cookie bars make an already simple recipe even easier — because, as we know, making chocolate chip cookies from scratch isn’t difficult.
But, even I can be lazy enough to not want to spend time plopping dough by the tablespoonful onto cookie sheets, batch by batch. And that’s why cookie bars were invented! All of the cookie dough bliss, with none of the individual cookie fuss!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Here’s a quick run-through of the steps; the full recipe card is just after:
First you cream butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl until they’re soft and fluffy, and then mix in the eggs and vanilla.
Next you sift flour, baking soda and salt into the butter mixture and then stir it just until a dough is made, lastly folding in the chocolate chips. Then press the dough into a buttered 9×11″ baking dish.
Then just bake it for twenty to twenty-five minutes at 375°F, or until it’s golden brown and set.
After you pull the baking dish out of the oven, make sure to let the it rest on a cooling rack for ten to fifteen minutes before cutting, otherwise you might have a crumbly, gooey mess on your hands.
Not that a gooey mess would be a bad thing, it could actually be quite good! Just not the “bars” you envisioned…
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (12-ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar together in a large bowl until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Add the eggs and the vanilla, and continue mixing until they’re combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together. Add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture about 1/4 cup at a time (just eyeball it), making sure to incorporate fully before adding more. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Press the cookie dough evenly into a lightly buttered 9x11" baking dish. Bake the bars for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the center has set.
- Remove the chocolate chip cookie bars from the oven and let them cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g