These classic soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies will have you coming back for more. Best eaten warm with a cold glass of milk!
Soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies? Why not!
(But first … let me back up.)
In 2012 we took an amazing two week vacation to Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia, which (aside from my handy-dandy smart phone) had no in-house internet options. *Gah!*
To many people, the fact that there wasn’t an internet connection simply isn’t that big of a deal.
“Oh! I don’t have to check my AOL email account, so what?”
But to someone like me who’s on the internet machine (thanks for introducing us to that new term, Cousin Doug!) nearly all waking hours of the day a lot, the thought of no connection for two weeks seems … well … daunting. These were the days of very limited data and no such thing as a hot spot, so … yeah.
Turns out, the very few online checkups I was able to do via my phone were plenty.
I didn’t long for access to update this site, nor did I miss any of the other things that are much easier to accomplish with my laptop and a wireless connection.
Life those two weeks was refreshing. Lakes, in general, are a super serene place to visit.
I was forced to stay offline, with the exception of lots of Instagram posts from my phone — does that really count anyway? Nah.
So, while not spending my free time perusing the interwebs, I had time for things at the lake like…
- Swimming with my kids.
- Running with my sister.
- Boat rides with my family.
- Movies in the theater!
- Dates with my husband.
- Reading, as in, fiction books! Three of them!
- Savoring a glass of wine or two, with good conversation.
- Staring into space.
- Cooking pan seared striped bass fresh from the lake.
And best of all?
I actually feel rejuvenated! But not without the normal post-vacay-letdown slump.
So when my son asked for chocolate chip cookies today … the day after we arrived home … and the day that I’m finishing laundry, cleaning, hitting the grocery store, catching up on email, etc., I said, “Sure — that’s a great idea!”
And that felt good.
And, the cookies tasted heavenly.
(And so did the cookie dough.)
Here are some of the kitchen tools I use to make soft and chewy classic chocolate chip cookies:
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 12-ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar together in a large bowl until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Add the eggs and the vanilla, and continue mixing until they’re combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together. Add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture about 1/4 cup at a time (just eyeball it), making sure to incorporate fully before adding more. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the cookie dough in generously rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets, leaving about 1-1/2″ between cookies. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the tops are no longer shiny.
- Remove the baking sheets from oven and let the cookies sit for 1 minute before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece
Cookie Scoop Set,JSDOIN Ice Cream Scoop Set, 3 PCS 18/8 Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop Trigger Include Large-Medium-Small Size, Melon Scoop (cookie scoop)
Wilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cakes and More
Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Cookie Baking Sheets Set, 2-Piece
All-Clad 8700800515 All- Measuring Cups
M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatulas Set | Rubber Spatula Kitchen Utensils Non-Stick for Cooking, Baking and Mixing | Ergonomic, Dishwasher Safe Bakeware Set of 4, Orange
KitchenAid KSM150PSAQ Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Aqua Sky
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 354 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 280mg Carbohydrates: 50g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 27g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g