This mouth-watering ooey-gooey baked brie with RO*TEL® is a fun and festive appetizer that’s perfect for holidays and entertaining! I’m always on the hunt for simple, yummy appetizers and finger foods when I’m hosting a get-together or having friends and family over for the holidays.
Things that take both a minimal amount of time and effort and also yield flavors and tastes that still make your mouth water.
Cheese is high on that list. Mmm…
Melty, ooey-gooey cheese is even higher on that list.
Marry that with a flaky crescent roll crust and RO*TEL, known for delivering bold, adventurous flavor, and you have quite the match made in appetizer heaven.
For this recipe, I started out with a round of peppercorn brie.
Any brie will do, but the peppery flavor of this one added a bit of kick that I thought would be super flavorful, while also complementing the kick and zest of RO*TEL.
First, I sliced the top of the rind off and then dug a little of the brie out of the center.
Then I set the brie on top of rolled out crescent roll dough (yes, from a can).
I kept that bit of brie … though eating it right then and there was hard to not do.
Next, I drained the cans of RO*TEL and dropped some into the hollowed-out brie. The mix of the original and mild versions gives the bold, adventurous flavor RO*TEL is known for, while not overwhelming the more delicate flavor of the brie.
It’s okay if it overflows a little…
Then, on goes your reserved brie bit, like a topper!
After that, I wrapped the crescent roll dough around the brie, taking care to pinch any seams and make sure all the brie and RO*TEL was completely encased.
You want to make sure the crescent roll dough is rolled out pretty thin so it bakes evenly and thoroughly, and if you have any left over, then you can use it to decorate the top!
Lastly it goes into a dish (I used a large ceramic ramekin, but any baking dish will do), and then it’s baked for about thirty minutes at 350F°. No need to grease the dish; the crescent roll dough is plenty buttery on its own.
The goal is to reach a deep golden brown on top, but also ensure the inside is melty and the dough is fully cooked on the sides.
Once out, it’s a good idea to let it cool for at least ten minutes before digging in. But don’t wait too long! You want to take full advantage of the melty goodness of that bake brie with RO*TEL.
The crusty crescent roll casing make for a delicious vehicle for getting the brie with RO*TEL into your mouth, but I also find pita chips or melba toast are good dippers to have on hand, too. You want something substantial that’ll hold up without breaking.
If you’re a fan of brie and want a sweeter appetizer, try my Brie & Raspberry Crescent Roll Bites!
- 1 10-ounce can RO*TEL Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 1 10-ounce can RO*TEL Mild Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 1 16-ounce round of brie
- 1 can of crescent rolls
- 1 bag pita chips with sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Drain both cans of RO*TEL in a colander.
- Use a sharp knife to thinly slice the top rind of the brie off.
- Hollow out the center of the brie and reserve it. Leave at least 1/2 inch of brie on the sides and bottom.
- Lightly flour the counter and roll the crescent roll dough into a thin square. You may want to dust your rolling pin with flour to keep the dough from sticking.
- Set the brie on top. Spoon the the strained RO*TEL into the hollowed brie and allow it to mound on top.
- Pull the crescent roll dough up and around the brie and RO*TEL, pressing to close any seams and fully encasing the brie and the RO*TEL.
- Use any leftover dough to make a decoration on top.
- Place the crescent roll-covered brie into a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is a deep golden brown.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving with pita chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 607Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 1209mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 25g