This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MakeItMazola #SimpleSwap #CollectiveBias
These cinnamon apple oatmeal muffins made with whole wheat flour are a perfect hearty grab-n-go breakfast or snack option. A clinical study showed Mazola® Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, see Mazola.com.
Fall is in the air and school is back in session. It’s my favorite time of the year, even if it’s also one of the busiest.
My daughter and I tend to be grab-n-go breakfast eaters, preferring instead to eat a bigger lunch and dinner.
A hearty, better-for-you muffin can be a wonderful way to both quell hunger, while also being portable.
Because it’s fall, I have cinnamon-apple on the brain and these muffins embody every bit of those flavors and scents with lots of cinnamon, diced fresh apple and unsweetened applesauce.
I made a few swaps for ingredients to make these muffins better for you, too.
To make these a lighter option than a traditional muffin recipe, I replaced most of the sugar with unsweetened applesauce in this recipe, and I used old fashioned oats and whole wheat flour in place of all-purpose flour.
Canola oil was replaced by Mazola Corn Oil, an all-purpose cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy choice for your family, with a neutral taste that lets the natural flavor of your food stand out.
And even though I didn’t need high heat for this recipe, it’s worth noting that Mazola has a smoke point higher than most cooking oils at 450°F and performs well in a variety of cooking applications, including stir-frying, sautéing and grilling.
The denseness of the muffins make them a filling and hearty option for breakfast or a snack, and they still taste fresh and light because of the bites of fresh apple throughout.
I like to eat mine warmed up with a little butter or cream cheese.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup Mazola Corn Oil
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place liners* into 8 spaces of a regular muffin tin.
- Stir together the flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, milk, applesauce, diced apple and corn oil. Use a rubber spatula to fold and mix everything until just combined.
- Fill each muffin cup ¾ of the way.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and they spring back when touched lightly with your finger.
- Remove them to a rack to cool completely.