Last updated on January 5, 2020 by Liza Hawkins
These taco cheeseburgers are a fun twist on both tacos *and* burgers!
My family has a love-love relationship with cheeseburgers.
All of them.
And, even though we could all happily nosh on the traditional beef patty with American cheese, sometimes I like to try and change things up a bit.
Maybe I make sliders. Or perhaps I substitute ground turkey for the beef.
OR, forget the meat and just go straight up portobello burger.
It’s all good.
Beefy Taco Cheeseburgers
The other day when I was strolling down the aisle with tortillas, salsa, and other taco accents, my mind leaped to a new iteration: BEEFY TACO CHEESEBURGERS.
It’s really easy to make this twist on a classic burger.
I mixed a quarter cup of mild picante sauce with ground beef, an egg, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and fresh chopped green onions, and then made patties out of the mixture.
I topped each with a tablespoon of shredded cheddar and then used reserved ground beef mix to seal the cheddar inside of each burger.
The picante sauce added a new flavor to burgers, without overwhelming — it’s so versatile!
(If you don’t have picante sauce on hand, regular salsa works fine.)
You can see the cheddar cheese oozing out of the center of these beefy taco cheeseburgers.
But, obviously, cheese in the center isn’t enough.
A smathering of cheese was placed on top (cheddar for me; American for them), and then the pan was covered so that the cheese got perfectly melty and gooey.
I topped each with chopped green onions and that was it (though a little more picante sauce or homemade guacamole would’ve been good, too).
Beefy taco cheeseburgers! YUM!
A fun twist on a classic!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup Pace® Picante sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced (optional)
- Shredded lettuce (optional)
- Homemade guacamole (optional)
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to warm.
- Meanwhile, mix the beef, picante sauce, 2/3 of the green onions, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and egg together in a large bowl.
- Split the beef mixture into 5 sections. Form 4 of the sections into 1/2-inch-thick patties and set them aside on a plate.
- Add a tablespoon of the cheddar to the center of each patty, and then use the remaining beef mixture to top each patty and seal in the cheddar.
- Place each patty into the preheated skillet and cook them for 4 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook them for 2 minutes. Add the remaining cheddar to each burger, pour 2 tablespoons of water into the pan, then cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid. Continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Serve the burgers on a bun with more picante sauce, the rest of the green onions, sliced tomatoes, shredded lettuce and homemade guacamole!
Ground turkey or ground chicken can easily be substituted for the beef — you may need to add cooking time to ensure poultry is cooked through to 180°F.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece
- GEEKHOM Silicone Spatula, 600 Degree Heat Resistant BPA Free Non Toxic Rubber Spatulas Set for Non Stick Cookware, Large Flexible Heavy Duty Turner for Cooking Flipping Fish Pancake Eggs - 4 Pack, XL
- Calphalon 1948249 Signature Hard Anodized Nonstick Covered Omelet Fry Pan, 12", Black