Last updated on January 20, 2023 by Liza Hawkins
This easy weeknight tortellini recipe, chock full of shrimp, mushroom, garlic, bacon, and parmesan, will leave you drooling!
I brought leftovers of this particular pasta dish to work the other day, and my co-worker nearly trampled me to get close enough for a stab with her fork after I pulled the container from the microwave oven.
Even reheated, the flavors are tremendously rich and deep.
She asked me to give her the tortellini recipe. Right then. As in, I’d recite the recipe and she’d scribble it down.
“Oh! Okay,” I chirped.
I love recipe sharing!
She looked at me as though I had three heads.
Admittedly, she doesn’t cook much — although very interested in all things food. So, I told her to stop writing.
Actually, I really told her to not start writing since she was just staring at me, mouth agape.
“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’ll have this tortellini recipe up on the blog soon. I swear, while it might ‘sound’ complicated, I promise it’s an easy weeknight meal.”
Interested in some other easy pasta dishes?
- Chicken Mushroom Bowtie Pasta
- Creamy Penne With Spinach, Mushrooms, and Seared Chicken Sausage
- Parmesan Pistachio Orecchiette
This easy weeknight tortellini dish, chock full of shrimp, mushroom, garlic, bacon, and parmesan, will leave you drooling!
- 1 7-oz box dried Parmesan tortellini (I bought DaVinci brand; it’s what my grocery store had)
- 1 bag frozen extra-large raw shrimp (thawed, peeled, tails removed)
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Set a pot of water with 2 tablespoons of salt to boil for the pasta – enough water that the tortellini have room to move around freely.
- Once the water is boiling, add the tortellini, reduce to a simmer, and let it cook for about 13 minutes, approximately 2 minutes fewer than the package instructions for al dente. Reserve 1/4 pasta water. Drain the pasta.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy, then set it aside on a paper towel to cool and de-grease a little. Once it’s cool, crumble it.
- In the same skillet as you cooked the bacon, increase the heat to medium-high. Season the shrimp on one side by sprinkling 1/4 teaspoon salt an 1/8 teaspoon pepper over top. Place the shrimp seasoned side down into the hot skillet, season the other side with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and then let them cook for 2 minutes. Flip the shrimp, let them cook for another 2 minutes, and then remove them from the skillet and set them aside.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the skillet (add a couple tablespoons of olive oil if your skillet appears too dry), and sauté over them over medium-high heat until the mushrooms soften – about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and half the parsley, and continue cooking for 1 minute longer.
- Pour the chicken broth into the skillet all at once and increase the heat to high. Make sure to scrape up the bits at the bottom of the skillet as you stir the broth and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and keep the sauce at a hard simmer for 3 minutes, and then add the cream, pasta water, Parmesan, shrimp and the drained tortellini. Continue cooking everything for another 2 minutes, and then add the remaining parsley and the crumbled bacon.
- Serve with crusty bread and extra Parmesan to sprinkle on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips Large Wooden Spoon, Beech
- Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Assist Handle Holder, 12", Red Silicone
- OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs with Black Silicone Heads
- Bialetti Oval 5 Quart Pasta Pot with Strainer Lid, Nonstick, 1, Black
- Qimh Collapsible Colander Set of 3 Round Silicone Kitchen Strainer Set - 2 pcs 4 Quart and 1 pcs 2 Quart- Perfect for Draining Pasta, Vegetable and fruit (green,blue, purple)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 477Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 1987mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g