Caramel apple cobbler is a simple and delicious alternative to traditional apple pie. It’s a perfect fall dessert! Yum!
Combine windows open, temps barely reaching seventy degrees and a Sunday with nothing much planned, and I end up with wild ideas for how to use up ingredients in my fridge.
Like a whole bag of apples.
Pie is always a safe alternative with apples, but I don’t usually like to make my own crust since pre-made crust is just as good (if not better), and I didn’t think to keep any refrigerated dough on hand.
Meh. I could, but the idea wasn’t quite hitting the spot.
My thoughts drifted back to last weekend when I had the leftover berries and made the mini-cobblers.
Is it possible?
Why, yes. Yes it is.
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 3 cooking apples, peeled and chopped into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Combine the apples, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg in a bowl. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted and started to foam, add the apples and sauté them until just tender – about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from heat.
- Meanwhile, place 1/2 cup of butter on the bottom of a deep baking dish, and then set it in the oven to melt while the oven preheats to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and milk together until the batter is smooth. It will seem thin and runny – this is perfect.
- Once the butter has melted in the baking dish, carefully pull it out of the oven. Pour the batter over top the butter, and DO NOT STIR.
- Next, spoon the apples (and the caramel sauce made during the sauté process) over top the batter and butter, and again DO NOT STIR.
- Place the baking dish back in the oven and cook the cobbler for about 35 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and the top is golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Pyrex Prepware 2-1/2-Quart Glass Mixing Bowl
- J.A. Henckels International CLASSIC 8" Chef's Knife
- OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler
- OXO 1067838 Good Grips Utility Cutting Board, Red,10-1/2-Inch x 15-Inch
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
- CorningWare French White Round and Oval Bakeware Set (12-Piece)