Juicy skillet fried thick-cut pork chops are a favorite in our house. Easy to make on a busy weeknight and fall-off-the-bone tender!
I was flipping by Food Network the other day and managed to catch an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown was busy searing a couple of thick pork chops in preparation for a few hours’ roasting in a slow cooker.
He had sliced apples and caramelized onions ready to go, along with a pan sauce lovingly finished off with butter and scraped bits from the bottom of the pan.
It looked wonderful—warm and comforting. A recipe I’m going to tuck away until fall’s crisp, blustery evenings roll in…
But those pork chops! Thick, juicy and seared just enough in a cast iron skillet (or a regular skillet) to make a nice crust; we needed to have those NOW, with summer accouterments like salad and corn on the cob.
Yes. Exactly that. An easy dinner recipe for a weeknight summer supper.
- 2 thick cut (1.5 to 2 inches thick), bone-in pork chops*
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- Add the olive oil and butter to a large skillet and place it over medium-high heat (on a heat scale of 1 to 10, I have my burner set around 7 since they'll be in the pan for such a long time).
- Sprinkle half the salt and pepper to one side of the chops. When the butter has melted and started to foam, add the chops to the skillet seasoned-side down. Season the other side with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Allow the chops to sear for 5 minutes, and then flip the chops. Continue cooking them on the second side for 10 minutes, and then flip the chops one more time. Cook for 5 minutes more, and then remove the chops to a plate to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Subscribe to my eNewsletter for simple kitchen tips, fun foodie news AND, exclusive only to subscribers, a first look at new recipes before they go live on the blog!
My posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same; however, I will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!