One of the things I love about cooking is the ability to try a recipe, then change it up to make it my own. But sometimes a recipe is so perfect just the way it started that altering it would seem almost offensive.
Like this simple oyster casserole.
I got this recipe for oyster casserole from a friend in 2001.
It’s hard to remember exactly, but I believe at the time I was looking for something to make for a holiday dinner at my future in-laws’ house.
She pulled out a few trusted, favorite recipes of her own, and was kind enough to share them with me.
The simplicity was astonishing—how only a few ingredients could yield such a tasty dish!
It’s not for the faint of heart when it comes to calories, as you shall see. So, maybe that helps.
But for a holiday dinner, who cares … right?
I’ve made it every Thanksgiving and Christmas for over a decade, and I’m not sure either side of the family would have it any other way!
Here are some kitchen tools I use to make simple oyster casserole:
- 2 pints fresh jarred oysters (find them in the seafood section)
- 4 cups medium coarse saltine cracker crumbs - about 2 sleeves
- 1 cup melted butter (2 sticks)
- 1-1/2 cups half & half
- 1/2 cup oyster liqueur (the liquid in the oyster jars)
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Drain the oysters, reserving the 1/2 cup of oyster liqueur.
- In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs and butter. Spread 1/3 of the cracker mixture into the bottom of a 9x13" casserole dish, and then top with 1/2 of oysters. Sprinkle with pepper. Repeat these steps once more.
- Combine the half & half, oyster liqueur, worcestershire sauce and salt. Pour the liquid mixture over top of the layers in the casserole dish. Top with the remaining crackers.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until top is golden and edges are bubbly.
Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece
Qimh Colander collapsible, Colander Strainer Over The Sink Vegetable/Fruit Colanders Strainers With Extendable Handles, Folding Strainer for Kitchen,6 Quart (Green)
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
Pyrex Deep Baking Dish Set (6-piece, BPA-free Lids)
Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware, Pour and Strain Sauce Pan, 3 1/2-quart, Black
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.