Last updated on October 30, 2022 by Liza Hawkins
Lemon garlic chicken is a tried and true favorite with my kids and my husband, gobbled up quickly every time, with several requests for seconds.
When our kids were young, one of the struggles we faced every week was how to eat dinner together, the four of us, as a family.
It seems simple enough, until you factor in commutes, toddlers who go to bed before 7 p.m., and evening work commitments.
Here’s what we learned…
A traditional dinner with all of us together didn’t have to happen in order to have a happy family. And, easy meals with yummy leftovers were often key to an enjoyable meal for everyone.
For many years, the kids would eat leftovers early. Then after they went to bed, my husband and I would eat our dinner — in the calm hours from 7:30 p.m. onward till bedtime. It was wonderful!
Here’s one of those easy meals!
Lemon Garlic Chicken
The basic recipe behind my lemon garlic chicken is a tried and true favorite with my kids and my husband:
Seasoned chicken with salt and pepper, maybe add another seasoning like chili powder or Old Bay, and sear it for four to five minutes per side in a hot pan. It’s a super versatile recipe that’s hard to screw up.
Lemon garlic chicken is a take on that basic recipe and it’s a simple meal that’s gobbled up quickly every time, with several requests for seconds.
Lemon Garlic Chicken is a tried and true favorite with my kids and my husband, gobbled up quickly every time, with several requests for seconds.
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry (if they're 3 large breasts, the kids split one)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground, if possible)
- 1 tablespoon herbs (dried or fresh; whatever you have on hand - I like parsley or basil best)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (about 1 lemon's worth)
- 3-4 thin lemon slices, halved
- Drizzle the olive oil in a large skillet and preheat over medium-high heat. While the skillet is heating, place the chicken breasts in between a few paper towel sheets, and pound them down to about 1/2" thick.
- Sprinkle each of the chicken breasts (just the side facing up) with 1/2 of your garlic salt, pepper, herbs and lemon zest. Lay them, seasoned side down, in your skillet for 5 minutes. Don't move them around; just let them sit until the 5 minutes is up.
- Sprinkle the remaining garlic salt, pepper, herbs and lemon zest over the unseasoned side of the chicken.
- After 5 minutes, flip each chicken breast. Add your lemon slices to the top of the cooked side, and let the chicken cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove to a plate, cover loosely with foil, and let sit - untouched - for another five minutes.
- If you'd like, drizzle the pan juices over the chicken. Seems a shame to waste them!
You should hear a sizzle when the chicken hits the olive oil in the skillet. If you don't, then your pan isn't hot enough. Turn up the heat a little, and then try again in a minute.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 288mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 37g