This sweet lime bread is a treat for breakfast or dessert!
After I mentioned a sweet lime bread my cousin made the other day, I had several requests for the recipe, which I was finally able to get from my cousin on Saturday!
I can’t imagine how it would be any better … unless, perhaps, you added a powdered sugar icing on top (á la Starbucks’ iced lemon pound cake)…
[b][i]For the lime bread:[/i][/b]
- 1/2 lb butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp grated lime peel
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
[b][i]For the glaze:[/i][/b]
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp of fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime peel
For the lime bread:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter, sugar and grated lime peal in a large bowl of an electric mixer.
- In another large bowl, place flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix with a wire whisk until thoroughly blended.
- In a medium bowl, mix beaten eggs and milk.
- Add flour and egg mixtures, part of each at a time, to butter and sugar mixture, mixing well after each addition in the electric mixer.
- Divide the batter between 2 lightly greased loaf pans, 2 tube pans or 5 mini loaf pans. Bake 55 minutes (45 mins for small pans) or until golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While loaves are baking, prepare glaze:
For the glaze:
- In a saucepan, cook over medium heat until clear and syrupy.