These melt-in-your-mouth roasted brussels sprouts with bacon are TO DIE FOR. Brussels sprouts are like the hipster vegetable. They’re cool because they’ve always been so UNcool. It’s ironic.
Although hipsters are technically conformists within their own subculture, in comparison to the much larger mainstream mass, they are pioneers and leaders of the latest cultural trends and ideals. -Urban Dictionary
Except in recent years, brussels sprouts have become a thing.
Last year, I kept trying to think about what would take off as the new “cupcake.”
You know, the forgotten or under-appreciated food that would suddenly show up at all the restaurants.
I mean, you couldn’t blink in 2012 or 2013 without seeing a cupcake of some kind at every restaurant, shop, party, event, wedding…
Not that I see “brussels sprouteries” popping up around town like cupcakeries did.
Restaurants [that have since closed], like Family Meal and Ayse Meze in Frederick, Md., perfected roasted brussels sprouts. They were mouthwatering. Crave-worthy, even. It’s a shame both those restaurants closed.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Bacon
Brussels sprouts?! Yes. These beauties (above) came in a recent CSA bag.
They’re organic brussels sprouts, perfectly green and completely unblemished.
They were begging to be roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper.
And B A C O N.
On a lucky note — as I was dreaming of roasted brussels sprouts — I’d just gotten my hands on a fresh bottle of really good extra virgin olive oil, and these roasted brussels sprouts seemed just the place to use it.
Yes, yes, yes. Indeed.
- 2 cups fresh brussels sprouts (ends trimmed; cut in half)
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon (crumbled)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Toss all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Feel free to add some of the bacon grease to the mix if you'd like. (I did.)
- Spread the brussels sprouts mixture on a large sheet pan in one layer.
- Roast the brussels sprouts with bacon for 40 minutes, stirring them up half-way through. They're done when the outsides are nice and crispy, and the insides are melt-in-your-mouth soft.
- Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Wilton 15 x 21-Inch 2105-0109 Perfect Results Non-Stick Mega Large Cookie Pan
- OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece
- OXO Good Grips Utensil Set, 3-Piece
- J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
- OXO 1067838 Good Grips Utility Cutting Board, Red,10-1/2-Inch x 15-Inch
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 500mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g