Is there anything more lovely than strawberry shortcake cupcakes with real whipped cream, fresh strawberries and a hint of lemon?
Yesterday I shared a bowl of lovely macerating strawberries: sugar, chopped strawberries and some lemon zest all melded together to create a sweet, fruity yummy-ness complete with a berry-infused syrup.
Really, I could have just picked up a spoon and hoovered the whole thing in about 60 seconds flat.
But instead I saved them for this recipe as intended. Probably a good idea; my family appreciated that.
Being Father’s Day focused on a dessert that my husband would love and strawberry shortcake happens to be one of them. A BIG one.
Plus, who doesn’t love cupcakes? And homemade whipped cream?
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, diced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 1/2 boxes French vanilla cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 6-ounce container of strawberry yogurt (the blended kind)
[i]For the vanilla whipped cream frosting:[/i]
- 2 pints whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the vanilla whipped cream frosting:
- Chill a large glass or metal bowl and mixer beaters in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before you’re ready to make the frosting.
- Add the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla into the chilled mixing bowl and beat on high until the cream thickens and makes stiff, firm peaks – about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate the whipped cream until you’re ready to use it, and then pipe the cream onto the cupcakes using a gallon size zip-top bag with a corner snipped off.