- 1 package refrigerated pie dough (2 dough rounds)
- 4 Granny Smith apples (or another tart variety)
- 4 Fuji apples (or another sweet variety)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Peel the apples and slice them thin, then toss them in a large bowl with the lemon zest and juice, cinnamon, cardamom, sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Set aside to rest while you prepare the pie plate.
- Place one of the pie dough rounds into a 9″ pie plate, and then set it atop a baking sheet covered in foil. Spoon the apple mixture into the pie dough, and then dot with the butter. The apples will cook down while they’re in the oven, so don’t worry about it initially looking too full.
- Take the second pie dough round and place it on top. Create three small holes on top to vent, and use a fork to crimp the edges of the pie. Baste the top lightly with milk.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the juices start to bubble up. Remove from the oven and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.
And now for that giveaway I promised….
– THIS GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED –
- Ceramic Covered Casserole Dish
- Hand Anodized Fry Pans (set of 3)
- Stainless Steel 15” Roaster with Roasting Rack
- Leave a comment on this post that includes your favorite Thanksgiving dessert
- Have a shipping address in the United States
Subscribe to my eNewsletter for simple kitchen tips, fun foodie news AND, exclusive only to subscribers, a first look at new recipes before they go live on the blog!
My posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same; however, I will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!