- 1 graham cracker crust for a 9″ pie plate, homemade or store-bought
- 2 cups (1-pint) heavy cream
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 large whole eggs
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 8 ripe bananas, firm but ripe
- Prepare a graham cracker crust in a 9″ pie plate, and set aside.
- Combine the cream, milk, ½ cup of the sugar, vanilla bean seeds and pod in a heavy bottomed 2-quart sauce pan. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer over medium heat, whisking often, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, eggs, cornstarch and 1 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Add 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking to combine. Add the milk and egg mixture all at once back into the sauce pan with the hot milk, and stir constantly with a wooden spoon over medium-high heat until the mixture thickens into a custard – about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Push the custard through a fine mesh strainer and into a clean medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, taking care to press the wrap down so that it’s resting on top of the custard – this will keep the custard from developing a skin on top while it cools. Discard the vanilla bean pod.
- Allow the custard to cool in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Slice the bananas in ½″-thick rounds. Spread ½ cup of the custard in an even layer on the bottom of your cooled pie crust. Arrange banana slices on top in 1 even layer, then top them with ¾ cup of custard and spread it out smooth. Press down gently to make the layer dense, then repeat the steps twice more. End with a smooth layer of the custard, making sure that all the bananas are covered well so that they won’t discolor. Cover with plastic wrap, and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Before serving, coat the pie with a generous slathering of whipped cream.
Subscribe to my eNewsletter for simple kitchen tips, fun foodie news AND, exclusive only to subscribers, a first look at new recipes before they go live on the blog!
My posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same; however, I will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!