These pomegranate sugar cookies are yummy, fun and festive!
When I had my pomegranate party back in November, one of the things I wanted to be sure of was that my guests had something to leave with.
POM Wonderful supplied the bags and recipe cards from their 2010 Chef Series, and enough pomegranates for my guests to each have one of their own.
But, I wanted something yummy for them to take home and share with their families — or, simply devour on the car ride home. Enter the pomegranate sugar cookie!
I used a basic sugar cookie recipe, and added a few pomegranate-y touches to keep with the party theme.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high for 3 minutes, until smooth. Beat in the egg and the vanilla. With the mixer on low, gradually beat in the dry ingredients until just combined – do not over-mix. Drizzle the pomegranate juice over your cookie dough, and gently fold with a spatula until you see a light lavender swirl.
- Place rounded tablespoonfuls of the dough on ungreased cookie sheets, pressing down a bit to flatten. Add 8-10 pomegranate arils on top, pushing down gently on each one to nestle them into the dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown and the centers are baked. Let stand on cookie sheets for 1-2 minutes before transferring them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Makes 16 to 24 cookies, depending on how big your tablespoonfuls are.
A quick note: Some of my cookies took longer to bake than others – I think it’s because of the pomegranate arils and how juicy they are. Be sure you let them bake thoroughly, or else you’ll end up with gooey centers that fall through your cooling rack!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- KitchenAid KSM150PSAQ Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Aqua Sky
- OXO 1071534 719812018447 Good Grips Large Silicone Flexible Turner, Stainless Steel
- Wilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cakes and More
- Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Cookie Baking Sheets Set, 2-Piece
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g