Old Fashioned Creamy Potato Salad
This old fashioned creamy potato salad is a huge favorite of ours, and a perfect side dish to burgers and dogs on the grill!
Don’t like potato salad?
I hear that a lot. That is … until people try this potato salad.
My husband won’t typically eat potato salad unless it’s this potato salad. And, he’ll eat leftovers, which is worth noting because he’s not typically a “leftovers” kind of guy, unless it’s steak or his mother’s enchiladas.
Starting in spring, this particular potato salad is requested at every family gathering.
Yes: Every. Single. One.
Friends who’ve tried it? Same request.
You might be wondering what it is about this recipe that’s so good…
Well, it reminds me of the potato salad my grandmother used to make — kind of southern, kind of classic. It almost tastes like “summer wrapped with nostalgia,” if that were a way to describe flavor.
The creaminess with a little tang from the mustard perfectly complements BBQ, ribs, burgers, sandwiches, or any other picnic food.
Give it a whirl! It’s super simple — and, AND! — you can make it the day before. In fact, this potato salad is better if you make it a day ahead, which is fabulous!
PS: Check out my recipe for Maryland Deviled Eggs for another great picnic treat, as well as an easy way to hard boil eggs using your Instant Pot!
Old Fashioned Creamy Potato Salad
Perfect side dish to burgers and dogs on the grill, this old fashioned creamy potato salad is a huge favorite of ours!
- 8 medium potatoes, cubed (red skin are my favorite, but any kind will do)
- 6 large eggs, hard boiled* and diced
- 6 green onions, diced
- 1 1/4 cup real mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or any kind you have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh or dried)
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and fill with enough water to just cover the potatoes. Add a tablespoon of salt.
- Set the pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue boiling for 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, stir the rest of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Drain the potatoes, then rinse them with cold water for 30 seconds—they should still be warm.
- Fold the warm potatoes into the mayonnaise mixture, making sure to coat them completely.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving (overnight’s better).
*To make hard boiled eggs:
- Fill a medium sauce pot half-way with water, add the eggs gently and then set the pot over high heat.
- Just before the water comes to a hard boil, reduce heat and gently boil (keep the eggs from bouncing around too much) for 7 minutes.
- Drain and let cool in an ice bath before peeling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece
- Bialetti Oval 5 Quart Pasta Pot with Strainer Lid, Nonstick, 1, Black
- M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatulas Set - Rubber Spatula Kitchen Utensils Non-Stick for Cooking, Baking and Mixing - Ergonomic, Dishwasher Safe Bakeware Set of 4, Orange
- J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
- Pyrex SYNCHKG089152 Get Dinner Away Large Handle 8" x 8" Square Dish. Making it Easy to Monitor Casserole Cooking and Brownie Baking from a, 4 Red 8"
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 458Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 599mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g
Last Updated on April 2, 2022 by Liza Hawkins
I might cld handle this potato salad – I am one of those that cringes at the sight of it! But, almost anything with real mayo is a winner.
I agree – I can’t stand Miracle Whip, and I’m not a huge fan of German potato salad. But, this potato salad’s a real winner, as long as you like mayo & creamier things. Hope you like!
Good old-fashioned potato salad like Mom made. Great recipe just as it is.
Really delicious recipe. I love it yummy!!! It’s really awesome. Will surely try this. You can also try