This crumbled Italian sausage soup is easy to make, thanks to the Instant Pot, and so satisfying — especially when you have a crazy week with a busy schedule!
It was one of “those” days last week.
The kind that feels a bit like a whirlwind, unseasonably chilly (not to mention drizzly) and also requires a quick turnaround for dinner.
It was also very close to grocery shopping day, which means the options in fridge and pantry were limited.
This is when I go into Chopped mode.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
Ground Italian sausage in the freezer.
A third of a box of short pasta in the pantry. Chicken stock in the freezer.
Half a box of beef stock in the fridge.
Cans of diced tomatoes. A can of navy beans.
Part of a bag of frozen chopped spinach.
SOUP, IT IS!
Made even simpler with the Instant Pot since it’s ready in thirty minutes.
- 1 pound ground mild Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 15-ounce can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 4 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup short dried pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the Instant Pot in sauté mode. Once hot, add the olive oil and the sausage and cook until it's browned, 5-10 minutes. Drain the sausage and set it aside.
- Add the onions to the Instant Pot (and a little more olive oil, if needed) and cook until they're translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Pour in the stock, taking care to scrape all the bits from the bottom. Add the cooked sausage, beans, tomatoes, spinach, water, pasta, salt and pepper, give a stir, and then lock the top in place. Change the setting to "Manual" for 5 minutes.
- Once time's done, let the pressure release for 5 minutes, and then manually release the rest of the pressure. Remove the top, add the Parmesan, and give a stir.
- Serve immediately with extra Parmesan for garnish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 708Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 1837mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 10gSugar: 5gProtein: 48g