Last updated on August 28, 2020 by Liza Hawkins
This crumbled Italian sausage soup is easy to make, thanks to the Instant Pot, and so satisfying — especially when you have a crazy week with a busy schedule!
It was one of “those” days last week.
The kind that feels a bit like a whirlwind, unseasonably chilly (not to mention drizzly) and also requires a quick turnaround for dinner.
It was also very close to grocery shopping day, which means the options in fridge and pantry were limited.
This is when I go into Chopped mode.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
Ground Italian sausage in the freezer.
A third of a box of short pasta in the pantry. Chicken stock in the freezer.
Half a box of beef stock in the fridge.
Cans of diced tomatoes. A can of navy beans.
Part of a bag of frozen chopped spinach.
SOUP, IT IS!
Made even simpler with the Instant Pot since it’s ready in thirty minutes.
This crumbled Italian sausage soup is easy to make, thanks to the Instant Pot, and so satisfying!
- 1 pound ground mild Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 15-ounce can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 4 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup short dried pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the Instant Pot in sauté mode. Once hot, add the olive oil and the sausage and cook until it's browned, 5-10 minutes. Drain the sausage and set it aside.
- Add the onions to the Instant Pot (and a little more olive oil, if needed) and cook until they're translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Pour in the stock, taking care to scrape all the bits from the bottom. Add the cooked sausage, beans, tomatoes, spinach, water, pasta, salt and pepper, give a stir, and then lock the top in place. Change the setting to "Manual" for 5 minutes.
- Once time's done, let the pressure release for 5 minutes, and then manually release the rest of the pressure. Remove the top, add the Parmesan, and give a stir.
- Serve immediately with extra Parmesan for garnish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 708Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 1837mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 10gSugar: 5gProtein: 48g