Tacos are one of my go-to easy dinner ideas during the work week, and having a simple homemade taco seasoning recipe is key!
Not only can they be thrown together in less than 30 minutes, the kids LOVE tacos and they’re easily built to each person’s specific and particular tastes:
- Husband: meat, cheese, green onions, sriracha sauce
- Nine-year-old: meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, refried beans, sour cream
- Five-year-old: meat, “only a little” cheese, lettuce, tomato
- Me: meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, green onions, avocado, refried beans, sour cream
For years I used a yellow taco seasoning packet. It’s what I grew up with, so that specific brand’s blend is super nostalgic.
But then I realized it’s just as easy to make a similar tasting taco seasoning at home … with spices and herbs I already had in my pantry. Love that.
The homemade taco seasoning blend I use is simple: chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, dried parsley.
It takes all of 2 minutes to throw together.
And it tastes GOOD.
With no preservatives or unpronounceable ingredient words.
You might like this blend, or you might play around with other add-ins like red pepper flakes or dried onion. It’s flexible, which is terrific!
Next up: homemade refried beans.
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ⅔ cup water
- Combine the chili powder, garlic salt, paprika, cumin, black pepper and parsley.
- Sprinkle the mix over your favorite taco meat while it's cooking. Once the meat has cooked through, add the water and bring the meat to a simmer, then cover the pan, reduce the heat and continue a low simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve the taco meat hot with crispy shells or soft tortillas. Seasons approximately one pound of meat.
Subscribe to my eNewsletter for simple kitchen tips, fun foodie news AND, exclusive only to subscribers, a first look at new recipes before they go live on the blog!
My posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same; however, I will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!