- 6 slices sandwich bread, cut in 2″ pieces (or the equivalent in whatever kind of bread you have around)
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, plus 1 tablespoon
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup walnuts or sliced almonds*
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- butter for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 1-1/2 quart baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, salt and lemon zest. Add the bread, taking care that all the cubes have been coated. Pour the mixture into the buttered baking dish, and press down gently on the bread.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cinnamon with 2 tablespoons sugar and then sprinkle it evenly over top of the bread. Bake for 50 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and the middle springs backs when you push on it with your finger. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before plating.
- Serve warm with fresh whipped cream or butter and maple syrup.
Subscribe to my eNewsletter for simple kitchen tips, fun foodie news AND, exclusive only to subscribers, a first look at new recipes before they go live on the blog!
My posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same; however, I will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!