Today we have a treat, my friends!
Nicole from a family that eats together: from Foodie to kid friendly in one dish is guest posting one of her amazing recipes!
What I enjoy about Nicole is that she manages to accomplish the something we parents strive for: combining adult food into something the kids not only eat … they enjoy eating.
Her food is fun, but sophisticated. Healthy, but yummy. What’s not to love?
Cheers and enjoy!
Spiced Turkey With Hummus on Pita Bread
This Mediterranean take on tacos—like a twist on gyros—is served with pita bread an full of yummy ingredients and dips, like spiced turkey, hummus, tomato salad, seasoned yogurt.
Even though there may seem to be a lot of ingredients, I’ve organized it to be quick and easy to make and the longest part of cooking this meal is the turkey.
If you’d like to make this faster, chicken tenders cooked in the oven for fifteen minutes would be a great substitution and just as fantastic.
Since my take on food is making it kid-friendly, having the dipping sauces makes this fun to eat.
Kids can either wrap up the ingredients like a taco or they can eat them separately while dipping them in the sauces.
- Pita bread, toasted and sliced in half to make pockets
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
[b]Spice Mix for Turkey[/b]
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoons ground paprika
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 turkey breasts, boneless and skinless
- Kosher salt
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons ground smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt
- 1 large heirloom tomato, chopped
- 1/2 small white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Spice Mix:
- Place the fennel, paprika, garlic powder, salt and coriander seeds in a spice grinder. Finely grind them.
For the turkey:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Coat the turkey breasts with the spice mix and place on a baking sheet. Roast uncovered until the turkey is cooked to an internal temp 170°F, approximately 40 to 45 minutes. Allow the meat to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Thinly slice the turkey breast and transfer to a warmed serving platter.
For the Hummus:
- While the turkey is baking, make the hummus.
- Add the chickpeas, lemon juice and garlic cloves to a food processor and puree. As the ingredients are processing, gradually add 1/2 cup olive oil in a thin stream and continue processing until it's smooth.
- Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with paprika.
For the Seasoned Yogurt:
- Mix the yogurt, paprika, garlic, honey and lemon juice in a bowl until incorporated. Season the yogurt sauce with salt, to taste.
For the Tomato Salad:
- Combine the tomatoes, onion and parsley in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
For the Assembly:
- Arrange the toasted pita on a plate and spoon some of the yogurt sauce and hummus in the center of the pita. Layer with slices of the turkey, and top with the peppers and tomato salad. Wrap and enjoy.