Last updated on September 16, 2023 by Liza Hawkins
Hot ham and cheese sandwich casserole is the perfect savory recipe to feed a crowd on game day, for a holiday, or just because!
Who doesn’t need good party recipes now and again, right?
I like to go with a tried and true staple, because it’s less stressful and I’m of the notion that the host should enjoy the party, too! (Thank you, Ina!)
For my son’s 2nd birthday party (with 20 guests) years ago, I decided to try something new after hearing about various iterations of “baked sliders all in one pan” that are “enough to feed a crowd!”
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich Casserole
The beauty of this delicious menu option is really three fold:
1. Everything’s made all in one pan.
(Or two or three, depending on how many you need.) I like to use disposable deep-dish baking trays like these, so that when the party’s over I have fewer dishes to wash.
If you’re the type who doesn’t mind a couple extra pans in sink, or you have beautiful casserole dishes you’d like to show off, then by all means use those!
2. You. Can. Make. Them. Ahead.
This is genius when it comes to enjoying a party you’re hosting.
Prep them the day before, throw them into the fridge, and then an hour or so before the party starts go ahead and bake them.
These suckers are delicious hot out of the oven, and they’re also good at room temp, which means you don’t have to be precise with your timing.
3. The recipe is super flexible!
The traditional way is with ham and cheese, like mine, using King’s Hawaiian Rolls. (Soooo good.)
That said, if your grocery store doesn’t carry King’s Hawaiian, either buy them in advance here … gosh, how I love Amazon! … or use party potato rolls instead.
And, if you’re not a fan of the ham and cheese combo, or want a little variety, use something else: roast beef and provolone, turkey and gruyere, mushrooms and swisse.
The combinations are endless!
Some kitchen tools I use to make hot ham and cheese sandwich casserole:
This hot ham and cheese sandwich casserole is a favorite party food!
- 2 12-packs King’s Hawaiian Rolls (party potato rolls are good substitute)
- 1 pound shaved Virginia ham
- 24 slices Swiss cheese
- 1-1/2 sticks butter
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onions
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Slice the King’s Hawaiian rolls in half.
- Line the bottom of a 9X13" baking pan with the bottom halves of the rolls (they should just fit).
- Spread half the ham over the rolls, and then layer half the the swiss cheese on top.
- Repeat the ham and cheese layers once more. Place the other halves of the rolls on top, press them down gently. Set the baking pan aside.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and dried onions.
- Over medium heat, stir until the butter has melted to create the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over top of the rolls in the baking pan, and then sprinkle the tops with the poppy seeds.
- Cover the baking pan tightly with aluminum foil, and then refrigerate for at least three hours or overnight (better).
When you’re ready to bake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the covered baking dish in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese has finished melting.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 24 mini sandwiches.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- GEEKHOM Silicone Spatula, 600 Degree Heat Resistant BPA Free Non Toxic Rubber Spatulas Set for Non Stick Cookware, Large Flexible Heavy Duty Turner for Cooking Flipping Fish Pancake Eggs - 4 Pack, XL
- J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
- Pyrex Deep Baking Dish Set (6-Piece, BPA-Free Lids)
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
- Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware, Pour and Strain Sauce Pan, 3 1/2-quart, Black
- eHomeA2Z Aluminum Pans Half Size Disposable 9" x 13" 10 Pack (10, Half Size)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 754mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 23g