In the world of “quick and easy” meals, these marinated chicken fajitas won’t disappoint! Tender, juicy and full of flavor, you’ll want to make sure to have plenty of leftovers on hand for lunch the next day.
There are so many ways to make fajitas, including using pre-cooked frozen chicken or beef fajita strips from the grocery store. If I’m really in a rush, having these on hand in the deep freezer is a lifesaver!
Just sauté some peppers, onions and garlic and toss in the strips with seasoning, and you’ll have dinner on the table in no time.
Having said that, starting fajitas from scratch with chicken breasts or thighs is pretty simple, too. For this recipe, the marinade is key — and the longer you can let it sit marinating, the better.
All you do is whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and a variety of seasonings, then submerge the chicken breasts (not cut up) and let them marinate for at least an hour. Ideally, though, you’d let it sit overnight for ultimate yumminess.
When you’re ready to cook, the marinated chicken is seared in a hot skillet and then left to rest while you sauté the veggies. Letting the chicken sit for ten minutes or so keeps it as juicy as possible when you start slicing it into strips.
Which brings us to the last step: slicing the chicken into strips.
Just like any piece of meat, the goal when slicing the chicken breasts into fajita strips is to make sure and cut it against the grain. I also like my strips on the thin side and using a really sharp knife definitely helps with that!
Once everything’s sliced up, the strips go back into the skillet to sauté with the veggies. I also like to pour any juices from the cutting board back into the skillet, too. Mmm…
A healthy sprinkle of spices and a little water makes a simple, mouth-watering sauce as the last of the marinated chicken fajitas finishes cooking right in the pan.
There’s no one right way to top your fajitas. Some of us like beans, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, avocado and tomato; others of us just like cheese. As long as you enjoy the feast, that’s what matters!
For the fajitas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
For the marinade
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fajita seasoning*
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill (parsley or cilantro would be a good substitute)
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
*For the fajita seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
For the marinade
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Submerge the chicken breasts, making sure they are completely coated.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour, or up to 24 hours.
For the fajitas
- Set a large skillet to warm over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, followed by the chicken. Spoon some of the marinade on top of each chicken breast. Let them cook for 4 minutes, then flip and cook them for an additional 4 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate to cool while you prepare the vegetables.
- Turn the heat down to medium, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, the peppers and the onions, then sauté until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, taking care to scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Slice the chicken into long thin strips against the grain, and then add them to the onion mixture in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining seasoning on top (plus extra salt if you'd like), give a stir, then pour the water on top and let it all cook for 5 to 10 minutes, turning the chicken occasionally to make sure it’s coated well.
Serve hot with warm tortillas, cheddar cheese, lettuce, refried beans, sliced avocado and sour cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
- OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Everyday Cutting Board Set,Multicolor,One Size
- OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs with Black Silicone Heads
- Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Assist Handle Holder, 12", Red Silicone
- J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 990mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 30g