Last updated on December 4, 2023 by Liza Hawkins
This turkey meatloaf is well-seasoned, juicy, and just the right amount for a family of four — easily doubled if you have more mouths to feed, or if you want leftovers.
Mmm … leftovers.
Meatloaf happens to be a favorite of mine. You know, like a comfort food. I’m not terribly picky about meatloaf — heck, I even ate it at my college dining hall.
But most other people? They typically say something like, “I hate meatloaf,” or, “I can’t stand eating meatloaf.”
And so I have come to perfect my meatloaf recipes and ensure that they’re tasty, even for the most picky of eaters. To the point (I kid you not) where my children list it as one of their favorites.
No, no. I’m serious!
My original version of meatloaf uses ground beef with an assortment of herbs, spices, onion, and cheese stuffed in the middle.
But recently I had a pound of ground turkey in the fridge that needed to be used, so I thought I’d try my hand at making a meatloaf with that instead.
There’s nothing worse than a dry meatloaf.
I was happily surprised with how the turkey meatloaf turned out. Plenty of moisture and flavor.
It’s a winner!
A twist on the traditional meatloaf!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1 onion soup mix packet
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh raw spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 small Roma tomato, diced
- 1/8 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Mix everything but the ketchup together in a large bowl — use your hands (they're much more efficient than any kitchen tool).
- Mold the turkey mixture into a meatloaf shape, about 6-8" long, on a baking sheet with shallow edges. Squirt the ketchup on top, and then spread it (I use my hands again) to completely coat the meatloaf.
- Bake it for 45 minutes — the cheese will be bubbly around the edges, and juices should run clear.
- Let the turkey meatloaf rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 411Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 172mgSodium: 1687mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 35g