Black bean chicken chili is a great alternative to the traditional beef recipe! Crisp mornings, busy afternoons and chilly evenings — perfect for the slow cooker.
We’re big fans of chili in this house, but sometimes it’s nice to very from traditional ground beef chili.
One of my favorite recipes uses chicken and black beans (although pinto or white beans would work great too).
In this recipe, I love how you can take two chicken breasts and stretch them to feed four to six people, and the flavors that soak into the meat are so rich and satisfying from slowly simmering all day while you’re at work.
Your tummy will be grumbling hungrily just thinking about it!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-oz can chicken broth
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts on both sides with the poultry seasoning, salt and 1 teaspoon chili powder.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet, then add the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes, flip and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and let it rest.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together in a slow cooker.
- Roughly chop the seared chicken breasts into large bite-sized pieces, and stir it into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Everyday Cutting Board Set,Multicolor,One Size
- J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
- Hamilton Beach Portable 6-Quart Set & Forget Digital Programmable Slow Cooker With Temperature Probe, Lid Lock, Stainless Steel (33969A)
- OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs with Black Silicone Heads
- Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Assist Handle Holder, 12", Red Silicone
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 1699mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 9gSugar: 5gProtein: 21g