Last Updated on October 6, 2020 by Liza Hawkins
This chili lime coconut roast chicken is super simple to make with ingredients you may already have in your pantry and fridge!
I’m always looking for ways to dress up chicken. Don’t get me wrong, it’s delightful roasted traditionally, with only olive oil, salt and pepper and stuffed with onions and garlic — but even the most beloved tried-and-true recipes get a little ho-hum now and again.
A few years ago I tried a store-bought fusion marinade on chicken that blended coconut and chili flavors in a dreamy kind of way … a nod to barbecue, if you will.
But, just slightly.
Then, when I wanted to have it again I decided to try my hand at making a homemade version of the marinade instead.
It was fun poking through my pantry and fridge for ingredients to replicate it, most of which I already had on hand.
The roast chicken quarters turned out really, really tasty and it was so simple to make — with only a few ingredients!
Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl, dredge the chicken in the marinade and let it sit for a while, then roast in a baking dish for an hour. Voilà!
This chili lime coconut roast chicken is super simple to make!
- 4 chicken thigh quarters
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
For the marinade:
- Whisk the yogurt, olive oil, chili powder, turmeric, coconut milk, lime zest and juice together in a large mixing bowl. Add the chicken quarters, turning them to coat completely with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, or up to overnight.
For the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the marinated chicken into a 9x13" baking dish and pour any remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper and fresh parsley.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then use some of the sauce on the bottom of the pan to give the chicken a baste, and then put it back into the oven for 20 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 175°F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, tent with foil and let it rest for another 10 minutes (temp will continue to rise another 5-10 degrees) before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- M KITCHEN WORLD Silicone Basting - BBQ, Pastry, and Oil Brush (Orange), Turkey Baster, Barbecue Utensil - use for Grilling & Marinating - Desserts Baking, Set of 2 with 2 Recipe Electronic Books
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
- Pyrex Prepware 2-1/2-Quart Glass Mixing Bowl
- Pyrex Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set, 8-Piece, Clear
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 411Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 1901mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 33g