Chicken sausage and apple rigatoni takes about thirty minutes from start to finish, which means it’s a snap to pull together on a busy weeknight!
Evenings are crisp and cool, and the sun is still warm throughout the day. It’s a phenomenal time of year; one of my absolute favorites!
Though many of the recipes I make with apples are sweet (like apple cinnamon cheesecake bars, honey cardamom apple pie or apple bread), apples also make a great addition to savory meals, and they pair wonderfully with meats like pork and chicken.
And especially well with the chicken sausage in this simple stove top rigatoni recipe.
I used gala apples in my recipe, but there are plenty of other apples that would work well, too.
I rough chopped the apples, and onions and peppers into bite sized pieces.
Then, I seared the chicken sausage in a hot pan with olive oil so it was browned on all sides, all crispy and juicy.
While the sausages rested for a few minutes, I sauteed the apples, onions and peppers in the pan juices.
After a few minutes, I sliced the sausages, and they went in, too.
I love the fact that this meal is pretty much ready in one single pan, aside from the pot I used to boil the rigatoni, and ready in under thirty minutes.
- 8 ounces dried rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package chicken sausage links
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 2 gala apples, chopped into bite-sized pieces (or another cooking apple)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup pasta water
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
- Set a large pot of water with 2 tablespoons of salt to boil on the stove. Add the rigatoni and cook it for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil to a large skillet and warm it over medium-high heat. Add the sausages, searing them for 1-2 minutes on each side until they're browned evenly. Remove them to a plate to rest.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add the apples, peppers and onions. Sprinkle them with 1 teaspoon sea salt, the garlic powder, pepper and red pepper flakes, and saute them for 5 minutes or until everything begins to soften.
- Slice the sausages, and toss them with the veggies in the skillet. Pour in the chicken stock and the pasta water, increase the heat to medium-high to bring it to a simmer. Once the pasta has cooked for 10 minutes, add the pasta and parsley to the skillet and toss them with the apples, veggies and sausage, and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread and Parmesan.