This chocolate lime zucchini bread turns a breakfast snack into a yummy dessert!
It’s STILL zucchini season here. I mean, will the zucchini plants ever stop producing?
Seems like the answer should be “no,” but we all know that in a few short weeks we’ll be reminiscing about the fresh veggies from mid to late summer—and, it seems, early fall.
After I scored the last bagful of zucchini from my parents’ homestead, I decided to save the zucchini by freezing it, rather than bake it all into loaves and muffins.
It was really simple, too—no blanching involved!
I simply peeled and shredded the zucchini, and then froze it in two cup batches in zip top bags, as flat as possible.
The great thing is, shredded zucchini thaws quickly, especially if you run the bag under warm water.
In terms of this recipe, I decided to tweak it a little by adding the tart *zing* of fresh lime with the sweet punch of chocolate chips.
But even with the chocolate chips this chocolate lime zucchini bread isn’t too sweet, which means it’s great for dessert OR breakfast.
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Coat two large loaf pans with non-stick spray.
- Use a whisk to combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl, leaving a well in the center.
- In a separate mixing bowl, use a hand-held electric mixer to beat the eggs and oil together until they turn creamy. Add the sugar, lime juice, lime zest and vanilla, and continue beating for another 2 minutes.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and continue beating until they're just combined (the mixture will be thick!).
- Add the zucchini to the batter, and using the mixer on low, gently incorporate the two. The moisture from the zucchini should loosen up the batter.
- Mix in the chocolate chips, and then pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the chocolate lime zucchini bread loaves are golden and the top bounces back when you press gently.
- Let the loaves cool for about 15 minutes in the pan, and then remove them to continue cooling on a rack.
If you plan on freezing these, let them cool completely and then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap before placing in a zip top freezer bag.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Cuisinart HM-90BCS Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case, Brushed Chrome
- Wilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cakes and More
- K BASIX Cheese Grater & Shredder - Stainless Steel - 4 Sided Box Grater - Large Grating Surface with Razor Sharp Blades - Perfect to Slice, Grate, Shred & Zest Fruits, Vegetables, Cheeses & More!
- All-Clad 8700800515 All- Measuring Cups
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
- Pyrex Prepware 2-1/2-Quart Glass Mixing Bowl
- AmazonBasics Nonstick Carbon Steel Baking Bread Pan, 9.5 x 5 Inch, Set of 2
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g