Enjoy this simple seared chicken breast, seasoned only with fresh lemon balm, green onion, salt and pepper.
Lemon balm is a frequent summer herb addition to CSA bags in the Mid-Atlantic.
It’s super versatile—a little like basil, but with a strong fresh scent of lemon—and I’ve used it as a garnish on salads, to make some seriously delicious lemon-lime curd tartlettes and to season savory dishes, too!
Lemon balm’s even yummy steeped in tea!
The other night it went perfectly with green onions and a simple seared chicken breast, seasoned only with salt and pepper.
All I did was warm a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil, sprinkled the chicken breasts with each of the ingredients, and then seared them for four minutes a side.
After a quick rest, they were ready to eat!
If you’re wondering where to find lemon balm, check your local farmers’ market.
Since mine came in our CSA bag, many local farms will probably be carrying it in the summertime, too.
- 4 small to medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped lemon balm
- 1 green onion, minced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the olive oil in a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel, and then sprinkle one side with lemon balm, green onion, salt and pepper.
- Place them seasoned side down in the hot pan.
- Sprinkle the side facing up with the remaining lemon balm, green onion, salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken for for 4 minutes*, flip, and then continue cooking for another 4 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with leftover fresh lemon balm if you have it.
*Cook time will vary by a minute or two, depending on the size of your chicken breasts. Use a probe thermometer to ensure they've reached 185°F internally before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- ThermoPro TP03A Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer Kitchen Cooking Food Candy Thermometer for Oil Deep Fry BBQ Grill Smoker Thermometer
- OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs With Nylon Heads
- J.A. Henckels International CLASSIC 8" Chef's Knife
- EXTRA LARGE Bamboo Cutting Board for Kitchen - Wide Groove on one side reversible with 2 Compartments for different foods - (16" x 12" x 0.8") Professional Grade Cuttingboard, Butcher Block