Perfect side dish to burgers and dogs on the grill, this old fashioned creamy potato salad is a huge favorite of ours!
Don’t like potato salad?
I hear that a lot.
That is … until people try this potato salad.
My husband won’t eat potato salad unless it’s THIS potato salad.
AND, he’ll eat leftovers.
(He’s not typically a “leftovers” kinda guy, unless it’s steak or his mother’s enchiladas.)
Starting in spring, this particular potato salad is requested at every family gathering.
Yes: Every. Single. One.
Friends who’ve tried it?
What is it about this recipe that’s so good?
Well, it reminds me of the potato salad my grandmother used to make.
Give it a whirl—it’s super simple, and you can make it the day before.
In fact, it’s better if you make it a day ahead, which is fabulous!
- 8 medium potatoes, cubed (red skin are my favorite, but any kind will do)
- 6 large eggs, hard boiled* and diced
- 6 green onions, diced
- 1 1/4 cup real mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or any kind you have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh or dried)
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and fill with enough water to just cover the potatoes. Add a tablespoon of salt.
- Set the pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue boiling for 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, stir the rest of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Drain the potatoes, then rinse them with cold water for 30 seconds—they should still be warm.
- Fold the warm potatoes into the mayonnaise mixture, making sure to coat them completely.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving (overnight’s better).
*To make hard boiled eggs:
- Fill a medium sauce pot half-way with water, add the eggs gently and then set the pot over high heat.
- Just before the water comes to a hard boil, reduce heat and gently boil (keep the eggs from bouncing around too much) for 7 minutes.
- Drain and let cool in an ice bath before peeling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece
Bialetti 07265 Oval 5 Quart Pasta Pot with Strainer Lid, Nonstick 1 Black
M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatulas Set | Rubber Spatula Kitchen Utensils Non-Stick for Cooking, Baking and Mixing | Ergonomic, Dishwasher Safe Bakeware Set of 4, Orange
J.A. Henckels International CLASSIC 8" Chef's Knife
Pyrex SYNCHKG089152 Get Dinner Away Large Handle 8" x 8" Square Dish. Making it Easy to Monitor Casserole Cooking and Brownie Baking from a, 4 Red 8"