Simple homemade baked ziti is one of the most delicious, ooey-gooey cheesy, comforting recipes out there!
There’s this little neighborhood pizzeria about two miles from our house that has the best baked ziti recipe I’ve ever eaten. I don’t claim to be a baked ziti expert, but I know a good Italian recipe when I taste one.
What I love most about their baked ziti is that it’s simple. Just the right amount of fresh basil and fresh mozzarella, a sauce + ricotta ratio near to perfection, and barely a touch of their light marinara on top.
Did I mention ooey, gooey fresh mozzarella?
Easy Homemade Baked Ziti
Over the weekend I decided to roll up my sleeves and take a stab at making baked ziti at home. I mean, it’s not difficult, and the ingredients are really no secret. And I, too, kept it simple – although I was lacking some of the fresh ingredients I would have preferred. Still, we were all pleased.
By the way, my easy homemade Italian bread (made the same afternoon) went perfectly!
- 1 23.5oz jar organic marinara sauce
- 3-1/2 cups dry ziti or penne pasta
- 1 8-ounce fresh mozzarella ball OR 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil OR 2 tablespoons dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt + 2 tablespoons for the pasta water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bring water and 2 tablespoons of salt to boil in a large pot. Add the pasta and cook it to al dente. Drain.
- Mix the marinara, ricotta, ¾ cup mozzarella, ¼ cup Parmesan, ½ teaspoon salt, and the basil together in a large bowl. Add the pasta, stirring gently to coat completely.
- Coat the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish with olive oil. Spread the pasta mixture evenly in the dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the baked ziti is bubbly and golden brown on top.
Subscribe to my eNewsletter for simple kitchen tips, fun foodie news AND, exclusive only to subscribers, a first look at new recipes before they go live on the blog!
My posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same; however, I will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!